06 September 2009

77 years old....and still rollin' hard

I was going through my cards the other day and happened upon the oldest card in my collection-
                   1933 Goudey Johnny Vergez
 

Though not a superstar, fan favorite or Hall of Famer, this card holds a special place in my heart.

In his 6 seasons in the big leagues, Vergez never stood out for doing anything better than the next guy. His career high in home runs was 16 and his single best batting average was .278. He spent the first four years of his career with the New York Giants and finished his last season split between St. Louis and Philadelphia.

But those aren't the reasons why this card is so special. It is special because it was my first vintage card and because it is the oldest card I have ever held in my possession. I always hoped one day to add more Goudey's to my collection, as I believe it is one of the most gorgeous sets around.

I know it would be damn near impossible to complete as I doubt I would ever have the funds for some of the more expensive stars in the set, but maybe grabbing a handful of other '33's would make ol' Johnny feel a little less lonely next to the modern technology of Chrome and swatches of fabric on cards.

One day Johnny, we shall find you a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment