11 September 2009

9/11.....the day that changed America Forever

I can still remember exactly what I was doing when I found out what happened 8 years ago today.

As usual, I was walking to school for another day in my Sophomore year. As I was walking towards my first class (JROTC, ironically), my buddy Brian pulled up next to me and told me to hop into his car. He then told me that a plane had hit the first tower.

Few seconds went by before it was announced on the radio that ANOTHER plane had hit a different tower. And then we heard about the plane in Pennsylvania and the plane that hit the Pentagon.

I remember that the only thing going through my mind was about all the people in the buildings. I wondered if ANYONE could get out of the higher levels alive and why it had happened. Then, we found out it was terrorism.

I remember being filled with hatred. Hatred of the men who flew the planes. Hatred of the men who had them crash the planes. And hatred of those who supported these men.

That was the day I determined I would join the Army. Only, it took 6 more years before I could. When I joined, I knew what I was getting into. I knew I would deploy. I knew I would have a target on my back. And I knew that I would be defending the millions of people back in the great country of ours, but I knew even more that I would be fighting for the people who lost their lives that day and have lost their lives since, because of that terroristic act.

I deployed to Iraq last year, though near the end of my units deployment, as I got there in the middle of it. But while I was deployed, the FOB where we were was attacked three times. I still remember the fear I felt the first time. And I remember the pride I felt the last, when I helped roll out a convoy carrying members of the Army I was in, to get them the medical attention they needed to survive.

So, today, of all days, thank your firemen, policemen and military members. Hug your neighbor. Tell your parents you love them. Never forget what happened and always remember the people lost.

They say freedom isn't free and as long as we let terrorists affect our lives, this will be true.

As for my thanks, I want to thank everyone who has supported the soldiers, the men and women, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, husbands and wives that have served before me, with me and those that will serve after me. Without your support, what we do would be much, much harder.

If you read this, feel free to drop a comment about where you were and what you were doing that day. Everyone has a memory to share, emotions to show.

To read a few personal stories and comments, take a look at these posts by some other great bloggers:
Sully Baseball
bdjg610 Topps Baseball Blog
Indians Baseball Cards
Enough Already
Dinged Corners
NIght Owl Cards
A Cardboard Problem

Thanks everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment