12 September 2009

Longhorns, Titans and the opening weekend of the NFL season....

Now, I know I try to keep this blog strictly to baseball and baseball cards, but my second sports passion is football.

Growing up in Texas, I was surrounded by football. From my crappy high school team (was in the book Friday Night Lights and the movie, San Angelo Central) to the Dallas Cowboys to the Texas A&M Aggies.

But the two teams that have ALWAYS had my loyalty have been the University of Texas Longhorns and the Tennessee Titans aka the Houston Oilers.

Add in my love of fantasy sports and dedication to reading, watching and learning almost TOO much about sports and you have a life long addiction to my teams.

Texas did open their season last week with an easy win against a patsy, something I assume they will do this weekend as well.

The Titans didn't fare as well, losing 13-10 in overtime to the defending Super Bowl champs, Pittsburgh Steelers. I tough way to lose the season, especially after forcing a fumble with 54 seconds left and not even ATTEMPTING to get the ball down field, but I still see them finishing with about 11 or 12 wins and a high playoff seed.

As for the fantasy aspect, I decided to scale my amount of teams this season down to one Yahoo league and two serious ESPN leagues.

I will only bore you with the roster from the Yahoo league, as it is a keeper league. The league stats that are different then a normal league is that we count receptions and use individual defensive players, which adds a different dynamic to the league entirely.

On to my team roster:

QB- Donovan McNabb, Chad Pennington
RB- Chris Johnson, Brandon Jacobs, Kevin Smith, Rashard Mendenhall, Earnest Graham, Fred Jackson
WR- Roy Williams, Lance Moore, Anthony Gonzalez, Vincent Jackson, Josh Morgan
TE- Dallas Clark
K- Robbie Gould
LB- Demeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson, James Farrior
DT- Shaun Rogers
DE- Richard Seymour, Trent Cole
S- Gibril Wilson
CB- Chris Tillman, Chris Gamble, Leon Hall

I have already made one trade, sending LaDainian Tomlinson, Marques Colston and Michael Griffin for Brandon Jacobs, Anthony Gonzalez and Vincent Jackson, which I think REALLY helped my WR core out better.

Anyways, keep a look out in the sidebar, where I will be keeping my overall record and other tidbits every week for the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment